Monday, February 25, 2013

Falling in Love: PROMPT

In undergrad I attended a brief presentation on PROMPT (Prompts for Restructuring Oral Muscular Phonetic Targets).  "What is this magic?". I thought to myself.  How interesting, how innovative, how invasive to my personal bubble!

2 years wiser, another presenter came to my graduate school and spoke about PROMPT.  She told us how wonderful and great it was.  I agreed.  "When can I start? Who do I call? Where do I sign?!"  After she spoke my classmates and I were deflated and feeling sorry we didn't know this awesome technique.  We still had to resort to our age old methods from oral motor to standing on our heads to get some of our clients to correct their speech sounds.

Fast forward one year to my clinical fellowship.  It's here, it's time!  I'm on my way to certification and loving every minute of it!  Certification for PROMPT is intense and lengthy.  I've been trained, am in the process of my self study project and signed up for the second workshop: bridging.

Seeing the success I've been having with my clients makes getting out of bed on these cold mornings much easier.  I love shopping for hand sanitizer, analyzing new clients to create appropriate goals and practicing on my PROMPT head.

(My family was tired of me asking to practice my new PROMPT skills on them, so we went to the local wig shop and purchased a wig head.  It's styrofoam, so I drew on the target points of contact and used pins for the mylohyoid spots.  It still needs a name!)


Much of the information has been provided from the PROMPT institute website. Please check it out! Who knows you may fall in love too.

No comments:

Post a Comment